MissTeach

Sunday, September 30, 2007

Schools For Our Citizens

After reading Schools for Citizens, it left me with some thoughts that I had highlighted regarding some of the ideas and messages in the writings. It was a long read but it still had many good points to make.
First off, it was very true and I agree with the statement the Jefferson, Clinton and Mann said when they were trying to say that an uneducated individual was an untrustworthy individual of rights and liberties but a properly educated one would be able to recognize and distinguish ideas needed be to stabilize society and preserve freedom. Without being educated denies a person the broadened knowledge that they deserve being a human being. Their goal was projected into the far 20th century as it is today.
A few other pointers I that caught my eye was that Mann wanted all moral teaching to be based on the Bible. This was interesting knowing that are country founded on being Protestant.
I thought it was interesting that even then, they wanted citizens to study heroes and patriots. It was looked at as that these individuals talents and virtues would be able to be the cause of patriotism for the country. I like that idea, in theory. I remember in Study of History class that we were taught "jacked up" history which was history made to be taught in a way that highlighted the good parts of a particular event or person not the entire truth of history. I guess who eventually tells the story has their particular spin on things. This made sense considering stories are usually told with their best face forward.
One of the important stances in this article that compelled me was the fact that it was stated that English was essential to be learned. I agree with this the most because I feel that the United States should declare its language as English. This is my opinion because, not only be reading this statement, but because when immigrants came to this country more than one hundred years ago, they were required to learn English to be able to live and prosper. Now it seems that one does not ever need to learn English but still manages to get by in this country by living around people of their own language. Some people may have a different opinion on this, however, I feel that I stand strong on this topic.
I think these educational and motivative leaders before us were very right in their ideas of what a good citizen is considering many possibilities and ideas. I feel we need more people in our current day that have the future of this countries interests best in mind as these great people did so long ago.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home